One of NC State’s more successful teams in athletics’ history was the cross-country squad of the early 1950s. The Wolfpack runners had a dynasty in the first part of the decade, winning back-to-back Southern Conference titles in 1951 and 1952 and back-to-back Atlantic Coast Conference championships in 1953 and 1954.
But it turns out that NC State College was, at the same time, getting the wheels rolling on an important agricultural extension program, as well. It was on this day in 1954 that The Technician reported that the Truck Driving Training School at NC State had garnered acclaim after being featured in an international journal.
“The current issue of Automobile Revue, the leading Swiss motoring weekly published in Bern, Switzerland, carries a feature on the driver school, oldest such training center in the United States,” the article reported.
The publication had learned about State’s truck school, which The Technician reported was a part of the State College Extension Division, from another feature published in Popular Science.
“The Swiss journal illustrated its story with a picture showing students training in truck driving school at State College,” The Technician reported. “The article and cutlines under the picture were in German.”
No further information concerning when the school opened or closed at NC State could be found.