For more than 60 years, NC State students had only the classroom in which to gain and test their knowledge of their desired disciplines. It wasn’t until 1954 that they had a place on campus where they could become “Grade-A humans as well as Grade-A technicians.”
Such was the promise in The Technician that came out on this day in 1954, announcing the opening and dedication of the new College Union. The article outlined the purposes of the more-than $1 million facility that opened in the heart of campus. The newspaper emphasized how the building’s game room, ballroom and art gallery would provide State students with new activities, programs, weekend recreation and “above all, pride in his school.”
The dedication of the building, which would go on to be named the Erdahl-Cloyd Student Union and is now known as the Atrium, was the culmination of six years of planning and construction. The Technician claimed it contained “the sharpest snack bar you’ve ever seen.” It also boasted a 40-by-12 mural painted by famed American artist Manuel Bromberg that contained in it 60 symbols and formulas from all disciplines taught on campus in order to represent the marriage between art and science at NC State.
But as snazzy as the snack bar was in 1954, it probably won’t hold a candle to the new food options opening this fall in the renovated Talley Student Union. That $120 million renovation began in 2011 and is slated to end in the fall of 2014.