It was first known simply as Dorm ’62. That was what it was called when it was dedicated and opened to residents on this day in, um, 1964.
But it wasn’t long before Dorm ’62 became known as Lee Dormitory. It was named after Maj. Gen. William Carey Lee, an NC State alumnus who went on to become the first commander of the 101st Airborne parachute troops. He is known as “Father of the Airborne.”
Lee had strong connections to NC State, having served as a professor of ROTC military science. In addition to his undergraduate degree, Lee received an honorary doctorate of military science from NC State in 1945.
Lee Dormitory, which is now known as Lee Residence Hall, became the first coed dorm on campus in 1970 when women moved into the upper floors, according to an account by Alice Elizabeth Reagan in North Carolina State University: A Narrative History.