Visitors to NC State’s acclaimed College of Engineering these days will find themselves in new buildings on Centennial Campus.
But over 60 years ago, engineering students and professors were still settling into new space on NC State’s main campus. On this day in 1951, the newly-opened Riddick Laboratory was dedicated. More than 200 NC State officials, professors, staff and students gathered for the dedication.
Riddick Laboratory, which now houses the Physics Department and offices and classrooms for the Department of Animal Science, was named for Wallace Carl Riddick. In addition to being NC State’s first football coach (hence Riddick Stadium), Riddick was the university’s first dean of engineering and its fourth president.
The completion of Riddick Laboratory in 1949, at a cost of $1.3 million, came at a great time for the engineering program. The program received new accreditation for several of its disciplines, meaning that only Harvard and MIT had more accredited engineering programs, according to Alice Elizabeth Reagan’s North Carolina State University: A Narrative History.