The cover story for NC State magazine’s Winter 2010 issue captures a day in the life of the new Hillsborough Street. The eight-page piece is stocked with photos that reveal how a $9.9 million city of Raleigh street improvement project transformed the university’s main drag. Jeremy Lange took hundreds of more photos that we couldn’t squeeze into the pages, and you can view some of those photos in two slideshows. View the retail side of the street here, and the campus side here.
Though many businesses have come and gone throughout Hillsborough Street’s 218-year existence, one thing hasn’t changed: its route. Check out historical photos and trivia of Hillsborough Street in the slideshow below:
And that’s just the beginning of our online extras for content from our Winter 2010 issue. Here’s a list of the rest of our online extras (many of which have already been posted on our blog), which will give you a preview of what to look forward to reading this winter:
- Descriptions of the nearly two-dozen programs that are tied together by NC State’s recently launched Springboard Innovation Partnership Portal and a Q&A with student entrepreneur Angela Hollen ’10.
- The history of NC State’s mascots through the years and a 2004 NC State interview with Ira Helms Jr. ’48, who built a robotic wolf when he was a student.
- Videos of freshmen basketball players C.J. Leslie, Ryan Harrow and Lorenzo Brown.
- A “chalk talk” video with Ewan Pritchard ’97, ’04 MS in which he explains the work being done at the Advanced Transportation Energy Center.
- Design renderings of the Hunt Library and video of its construction.
- Images of LEGO creations that Joe Meno ’87, LEGO hobbyist and founder of Brick Journal magazine, built.