What Does It Take to Get into NC State?

July 30, 2009
By Cherry Crayton

Many entering freshmen have been on campus the past several weeks attending Orientation. Thomas Griffin, NC State’s director of undergraduate admissions, spoke with WRAL yesterday and provided insight into why they might have been admitted while some of their peers weren’t. After all, NC State received more than 17,600 freshman applications for admission this year — a record — and admitted about 55 percent of them.

“The kinds of students that N.C. State wants to enroll are students that have an interest or passion in some area, but it can widely vary as to what that passion or interest is,” he said.

In our Summer 2005 cover story, NC State magazine ran a much more detailed account on what it takes to get into NC State and its unique admissions system:

As far back as admissions officers can recall, NC State has required applicants to select a first and second choice among the colleges for which they want to be considered. No other UNC System school does this. . . .

The reason is that part of NC State’s mission, perhaps more so than any other campus in the UNC System, is to send students into the working world to thrive in industries that have traditionally been critical to the state economy. Applicants, no matter how strong their qualifications, don’t get into NC State unless they’re accepted by their first or second choice of colleges. . . .

Sometimes applicants with a high GPA, good SAT scores and a lofty class rank are turned away from more selective colleges, while students with average credentials but strong interest in a traditional industry are admitted to another college.

31 Responses to “What Does It Take to Get into NC State?”

1. Cameron says:

Hello, I am a freshman in high school right now at KHS i would like to be informed about what GPA score you would need to attend North Carolina State.

2. Chris Richter says:

Check out this page. It should have all the info you need…

3. Kaleigh says:

I am wondering what it takes to get into north carolina university, it is my passion to get into this school. I am only a freshman in high school right now but i want the best school, or one i am interested in. I am highly wanted to play basketball there. Any suggestions?

4. Chris Richter says:

Hi Kaleigh,

Thanks for writing in. I’m glad you’re interested in NC State. It’s an excellent school.

You can find a lot of information for high school students on the Web site for the university’s admissions office. They even have a page for high school students. You can find the admissions site here: http://www.admissions.ncsu.edu/. You can find the high school page here: http://admissions.ncsu.edu/find-stuff/high-school-student/.

With regard to basketball, the women’s basketball program has a recruiting questionnaire you can fill out online. You can find it here: https://secureq.scoutwareforms.net/q/ncsu_wbb/b92w2.html. As you might know, the NCAA has rules about the kind of contact coaches can have with potential recruits. Your high school coach or AAU coach could probably tell you more about those restrictions.

Good luck!

5. Layton Smith says:

I have been a die hard state fan all my life. My whole family has or is working for them. My uncle (David Bowles) drives the truck that carries all the equipment from game to game for the football team. I also always wanted to be an engineer and i wanted to apply to be a manager for the football team, so what should i require to get into the engineering program and when should i apply to be a manager.

6. Chris Richter says:

Hi Layton,

Thanks for writing and for supporting NC State. I would suggest you check out the NC State Admissions Office’s Web site. You can find it here: . They have a lot of great information for prospective students. They also have a page specifically for high school students, which you can find here: . You should also check out the College of Engineering’s home page, which is http://www.engr.ncsu.edu. There’s a link for future students (http://www.engr.ncsu.edu/undergrad/future.php) that has a lot of great information. The college also runs summer programs for high school students that can help introduce you to engineering. You can find a link to information about those programs here: http://www.engr.ncsu.edu/undergrad/future.php.

As for being a student manager for the football team, you should e-mail Kevin Hurney. He is equipment manager for football and hires student managers. He can explain the application process to you. You can reach him at kevin_hurney@ncsu.edu.

Thanks again, and good luck!

7. De'lisa Cherry says:

hello i want to know the requirement to get get unto this school what does your GPA and SAT scores have to be, this is the first college of my choice and the information will be of great help.

Thanks again for all of your help.

8. Jimmy Savage says:

Hello, i’m a Junior in Highschool right now. I’m looking to pursue computer engineering as a major. My main goal is to go to NCState. But i’d like to know about the requirements, such as GPA and SAT scores. Right now, i’m taking a few Huskins courses at my community college dealing with Computer Networking. Will this look good? Do i have a good chance of being accepted?..

9. Chris Richter says:

Thanks for writing, Jimmy. We’re happy you’re considering NC State.

The weighted GPA for this year’s freshman class was 4.23. The average SAT score was 1,746. The freshman class this year has 4,550 students. About 1,300 freshmen each year enter the College of Engineering.

I would encourage you to explore the Undergradate Admissions website, which you can find at http://admissions.ncsu.edu/. There is a section specific to students like you who are interested in entering NC State as a freshman. You can find that here: http://admissions.ncsu.edu/how-apply/admission-profile/application-process.php. As you probably know, computer engineering is part of the College of Engineering. It is one of the more selective colleges on campus. I’m sure any community college courses you’ve taken will be looked upon favorably by the admissions office. Undergraduate Admissions has a Facebook page where they answer questions. You can find a link to it on their website.

Also, the College of Engineering has a page on freshman admissions, which you can find here: http://www.engr.ncsu.edu/undergrad/admission.php. You can also arrange a visit to the college. You can find out more here: http://www.engr.ncsu.edu/future/visit/. Finally, the College of Engineering has some summer programs for high school students. You can find out about those here: http://www.engr.ncsu.edu/theengineeringplace/.

Good luck, and let us know if there’s anything else we can do for you.

10. Lauren says:

Hi,
    I am a sophomore in highschool and i am very interested in attending nc state. However, my grades as a freshem werent great, will that strongly effect my chances of getting in?

11. Timothy says:

Hi,
    I am a Junior in High school and I am excted about NC State! I would like to major in Computer Science with an interest in Game Development and Japanese. I have 4 years of Japanese and have taken all honor courses and a few AP courses. Seems like this year since I have been taken courses that are much more challanging (which I thought would help me get accepted) my grades have not been what I would like to to be. How difficulty would the acceptance into these programs be? Very few colleges with Game Deveopment and Japanese all in one!

12. Logan says:

Hey,

I am a Junior in High School this year, I have developed an a deep interest in North Carolina State this year. I have been to the university many times this year, I have attended a football game this year, and I have had a walk on campus a few times. I am looking into majoring in Business or Engineering in college, I have read up on North Carolina State in magazines and I have toured the schools website. My grades are quickly rising right now my freshman and sophomore years I averaged a 3 and I am now averaging a 3.9 GPA this year is that good for where I am at in my hight school career and what scores do you look for in SAT/ACT’s?

13. shauntonio says:

hey im currently a junior at reid ross classical and im intrested into going to nc state to become an agriculture teacher do the admissions also look at your intrest in a career you would like to persue

14. johnna says:

What is a good SAT score received to get into NC state? Is a 1330 a bad score? Also, I am a junior in high school and I am taking AP Language, will this AP credit count towards my credits if I get into NC State.

15. brendan ortego says:

im a freshman at CHS and i want to build houses and stuff but i cant find the requirements for what it take to get into NCSU like what classes i have to pass and stuff

16. greg says:

i am a sophomore do you think a 4.33 weighted gpa is good enough gpa to get admitted

17. Naquandre Hill says:

Hi,

I am a sophmore in High School and I was wondering what it takes to get into NCSU. I want to major in Culinary Arts. I have been looking at other colleges trying to get my name out there and is willing to go to any college that accepts me. Im a football player and i always wanted to play for the Wolfpack. So if there is anyway that you can help me, i would love it, thank you.

18. Nikhil C. says:

Hey,
    I am a student at Wake Tech. I am about to receive my A.A. I wanted some information on enrolling in the school.
    Thanks

19. tamara patterson says:

well i ‘m freshman at rhs , and wondering what it takes to get into this college

20. S says:

Hey I am with u On Dat and I hope u do a great job on Getting into NC state
    Love Shandella

21. Sarah Swafford says:

Hello I am Junior in High School and I was wondering what are the requirements like what does your GPA and SATs scores have to be to get in and I am also plan to become a veterinarian and I am going to ICC for 2 years then go to your school for 6 years.

22. Bill Krueger says:

Sarah:

I would suggest you try this site at the NC State admissions office geared toward high school students … http://admissions.ncsu.edu/find-stuff/high-school-student/

Good luck.

Bill Krueger

23. Samantha Stone says:

I think NC State is a good college to go to for being in a photography classes and learning the way to hold the camera and the points.

24. dallas says:

if I go to community college for 2 years then transfer to nc state will that make it harder for me to be accepted

25. Melvin Bonaparte says:

I’am a junior in high school at East Forsyth High School. What will be required for me to get accepted for a scholarship at NC State?

26. Kasey says:

Hey,
    I am a Freshman this year and I have always wanted to attend North Carolina State’s veterinary program. Is there anything should do while in High School to increase my chances of getting into State?

27. Katelyn says:

Hey I’m a Freshman in High School…and i would really LOVE to get into NcState. I have wanted to since I was little. I know that I want to become a vetanarian for sure. But I’m not sure I could get into you’r College

28. Addison says:

I have wanted to get in nc state since i found out my dad had graduated there and alot more of my family has graduated from nc state. Im also in 4-h which i heard nc state supports 4-h, but i wanted to know if you have a archaeology major for your school and i can’t find it any information on it.

29. Sarah says:

Hey I am going into PDHS next year and was wondering what the best classes for me to take would be. Thank you for your help.

30. Jasmine says:

Hi my name is jasmine and I was wondering if your planning on going to NC state during the spring but you have a not so satisfying GPA from your last college what should I do in order to even be considered for an acceptance because for the fall semester I will be attending a community college.

31. Cortney says:

Hey,
    I am really interested in attending NC state I’m a senior but my gpa wasn’t the best throughout high school, will this ruin my chances on getting in?