NC State faculty honored as “intellectual catalysts”
The Alumni Association honored 18 NC State professors this evening for their exemplary work as teachers, researchers and scholars.
NC State Chancellor Randy Woodson, Alumni Association President Judi Grainger, and Benny Suggs, executive director of the Alumni Association, presented the 2011 Faculty Awards during a ceremony and reception at the Park Alumni Center on Centennial Campus.
“These are faculty who encourage and inspire with enthusiasm and dedication,” Grainger said. “They ignite the curiosity of students, feed their thirst for knowledge and teach the value of cooperation and collaboration
“These are faculty who empower students to reach beyond rote learning, to think independently and expansively, and believe in themselves.”
Woodson described the faculty as “intellectual catalysts” and “the cornerstone of this university.”
Chad Jordan, undergraduate programs coordinator for the Department of Plant Biology, was one of four recipients of the Alumni Association Outstanding Teaching Award. He said the recognition had special meaning because students were involved in the selection process.
“That’s the highest honor a teacher can receive, when your students recognize you,” Jordan said. “That’s thrilling.”
Alexander Deiters, an associate professor of bio-organic chemistry, was one of three professors recognized with Alumni Association Outstanding Research Awards.
“It’s nice that NC State recognizes young professors and their research before they become established,” Deiters said. “That’s a nice touch. You don’t see that very often.”
The winners of the 2011 Faculty Awards are:
Alumni Association Distinguished Undergraduate Professors
- Medwick Byrd | Department of Forest Biomaterials | College of Natural Resources
- Cynthia L. Istook | Department of Textiles and Apparel, Technology and Management | College of Textiles
- Bong-Il Jin | Department of Graphic Design and Industrial Design | College of Design
- Russell E. King | E.P. Fitts Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering | College of Engineering
- James A. Knopp | Department of Molecular and Structural Biochemistry | College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Janet F. Spears | Department of Crop Science | College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Alumni Association Distinguished Graduate Professors
- Hugh A. Devine | Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management | Department of Natural Resources
- John J. Seater | Department of Economics | Poole College of Management
Alumni Association Outstanding Research Awards
- Alexander Deiters | Department of Chemistry | College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
- Tony K. Stewart | Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies | College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Orlin D. Velev | Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering | College of Engineering
Alumni Association Outstanding Extension and Outreach Awards
- John C. Begeny | Department of Psychology | College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- David Hinks | Department of Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science | College of Textiles
- Lukasz M. Mazur | Business Development | Industrial Extension Service
Alumni Association Outstanding Teacher Awards
- Kofi Boone | Department of Landscape Architecture | College of Design
- Christopher J. Crosbie | Department of English | College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Chad V. Jordan | Department of Plant Biology | College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Dudley M. Marchi | Department of Foreign Languages and Literature | College of Humanities and Social Sciences
To view photos from the event, visit our Flickr page.